Tuesday, December 29, 2009

decisions, decisions...

if you care to, you can go to www.tradtalk.com and read my blog on trad archery since I've posted on since 2005.

i shot for a while last evening...until i got too cold and decided to hang it up for the evening.

i came in and installed an adjustable, cross-hair sight on my Hoyt GameMaster take down recurve that i hope to try today. i purchased this bow thru an internet deal; one of my better trades/purchases.

i purchased a rather costly set of carbon limbs for this bow at one time and found them 'lagging', shall we say, so i traded them for another set of limbs of equal quality but of different poundage; they delaminated a while later. i decided to stay with the standard factory limbs after that. they seem to provide very satisfactory performance unlike many have posted on various internet forums i frequent.

from time to time, I've considered getting heavier limbs for this bow but then i realize I've already got bows that cover from 40# to 56# so why go to all the trouble to buy more? it does not make sense.

but some of us that are into archery seem to never be satisfied with what we have on hand, do we?

which makes more sense: one take down bow with multiple sets of limbs in various poundages to meet your needs, or one bow in each poundage you wish? right off hand...I'd say one take down with limbs in the poundages you wish, wouldn't you?

well, for some durn reason that eludes me, i chose to get BOTH.

the problem is that i have some recurve bows that I've had since i started into archery that some might consider as being "classic" that I'm really hesitant to part with such as my Bear Kodiak Hunter, Howatt Ventura, Martin Hunter and Martin DreamCatcher. all are indeed, to me at least, "classic" with many fond memories attached.

the Bear Kodiak i purchased from a past NFAA, five time, national champion by the name of Rube Powell, of Chula Vista, California, whom i came to know very well, and shot with on many occasions, over the years until his death in 1992. i still shoot the ole Bear on occasions and I'm still amazed at it's performances. even in it's "used" condition, it would be considered as a "collectors" bow since it is one of the "Grayling" models produced in Grayling, Michigan, prior to Fred Bear moving his operation to Florida.

that recurve has walked the hills and deserts of California and Arizona with me on many occasions seeking game; and took game, too.

that's but one of my bows and a short explanation/reason/rationalization for not wanting to part with it.

now, time, age and other factors are coming into play and all is on hold for the moment. we have priorities that MUST be dealt with before i go any farther.

No comments:

Post a Comment