Monday, December 28, 2009

well...another day

I'm getting ready to go out into the near freezing cold and shoot my Bob Lee take down recurve bow.

this bow has been one of my favorite stand-by AND "go to" bows since purchasing it new in 2000.

over the years I've managed to purchase and trade in and out of bows of all kinds...mostly recurves over the last number of years though. i lost interest in the 'wheel' bows when they started becoming so 'technical' they looked more like an erector set than a bow. (i draw lots of tongue-in-cheek criticism from my kids for it, too...) it's something I've come to expect now and i just chuckle and go along with.

lately, I've been getting stiff in my neck and shoulders area and i need to shoot more often to help relieve the stress; i used to try to shoot at least a little each day but time, situations and weather sometime intervene.

my long time friend and hunting/shooting partner and i discuss our maladies quite freely with one another and offer up suggestions as to what to do to help. he recently decided to go to a reduced poundage bow in order to keep up with his love of the recurve bows. i did that a while back as i saw i was having a difficult time shooting the bows i had at the time...and my fingers are now, with age, getting a visit from arthritis, decided to switch to a mechanical release aid.

I've made changes in the last few years that have influenced my archery abilities and i don't regret the change. I'm now about to make (or at least try) another change that may have a great deal of influence on my shooting; I'm going to install sights on one of my recurve bows.

you need to know and understand that i have not shot with sights on my bow since circa 1982-3...oh, i did use sights and a mechanical release aid a while back on a compound bow i had in an effort to increase my accuracy for hunting. but i made a BIG mistake...i became TOO technical with the application...by the time i got thru adding stuff, the bow was so heavy it was difficult for me to handle/maneuver in most hunting environments i frequented at the time...so...off they came. too much associated with them and their use.

since then, my fingers have told me "either use a release aid, or give it up". i did start using the release aid and haven't looked back. i even applied that to using with a recurve bow and, occasionally, with a longbow.

in some "circles" using sights on a recurve is taboo and sights AND a mechanical release aid is so traumatic to some it's unbelievable; I'm not in that circle.

tomorrow, or near, I'm gonna try sights once again on my recurve bow. let's hope it goes well...

i'm also into airguns and firearms.

right now i don't indulge much in firearms as it's quite expensive to pursue...just to and from a LEGAL place to hunt/shoot is costly and time consuming. i am a life NRA member but that really doesn't account for much when it comes to the laws and rules set forth by our so-called "legislators". if it were up to me, I'd fire the whole legislature and replace them with gun/hunting/shooting friendly legislators.

i just got some reloads for my .308 Winchester. now i have to sight in the scope/rifle to the load. that will be fun, interesting and challenging since i don't know if i can get over 500 yards where i shoot.

i have numerous 'projects' in the fire insofar as air rifles are concerned.

stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment